Home > Ministry > Services > Office for Relations with the Public > FAQ > Consular offices and services abroad > Passport
Increase text sizeReduce text sizeShareMailPost to FacebookPost to TwitterPost to LinkedinPost to Google+


Can a passport be used as an identity document?
The Italian passport is valid both as a travel document as well as an identity document and is valid for a period of 10 years. The Italian identity card is sufficient for travel by Italian nationals between European Union Member Countries.

What is the electronic passport?
A document that, as of 26 October 2006, has replaced former passports and is issued in Italy by the Italian Police (Questura) and abroad at Italian diplomatic-consular missions. It is valid for 10 years for all countries whose governments are recognised by the Italian government, except in the case of eventual legal limitations. It uses modern technologies that offer a high standard of security such an anti-fraud device and computer chip containing the data of its possessor and of the issuing authority. It allows for periods of 90 days or less, for example, in the United States of America without the need for a visa.
From 2009 onward the electronic passport chip also contains its bearer’s fingerprints.

What types of passport are there?
Ordinary:  32 pages:     fee €44,66
                 48 pages:     fee €45,62
Group: Application must be made by the group leader and it permits one single trip abroad by groups of no fewer than 5 and no more than 50 persons, and has a maximum duration of 4 months from the issue date.

What other fees are involved in addition to that of the passport?
There are no other fees for travel within the countries of the European Union:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.
Use of the Italian passport for travel to non-EU member countries is subject to an annual government tax of €40,29 corresponding to the application of a consular stamp (when abroad) or proof of purchase on-line (contrassegno telematico).
The stamp or proof of purchase are to be applied only in case of actual departure and are valid for 365 days from the initial date of issuance; for years subsequent to expiration of the initial stamp, the point of expiration becomes the day/month in which the passport was originally issued.

What is the procedure for obtaining an Italian passport?
Apply to the authorised consulate. The procedures adopted by the individual consulates may vary, but it is, in any case, it is necessary to:

  • be registered in the AIRE (Registry of Italians Residing Abroad);
  • fill out and sign the appropriate form;
  • show a personal photo ID;
  • provide 2 recent photographs ;
  • submit the signed consent  of the other parent (in the case of minor children);
  • pay the passport fee and, where required, the government tax for using the passport.

Is it possible to apply for or renew my Italian passport at a consulate where I am not a resident?
Yes, but in that case it is necessary to obtain a clearance (nulla osta) from:
the police (Questura) where you are a resident  for citizens residing in Italy, and
authorised consulate for citizens residing in other consular jurisdictions.

I am abroad and my Italian passport has been lost or stolen. What do I need to do?
In the case of a lost or stolen passport or identity card it is always advisable to report it to the local authorities in order to avoid any eventual responsibility for it’s being used illegally by a third party.
You can contact the authorised consular authority which will then be able to issue a new document or a temporary one for re-entry into Italy. In any case, it will be necessary to submit 2 passport-style photos and, where possible, the police report and any other document that will help the consulate identify you (personal tax number (codice fiscal), health service card, drivers license, ID’s issued by other ministries, etc.)

How can parents obtain an Italian passport for their minor children or have a minor included on theirs?
Application can be made, using the special form, even by one parent on the condition that the other provides written consent either on the same form or in a separate statement. The application can be submitted in person, by mail (where required) or through a third party duly appointed as proxy in writing.

What is written consent and how is it to be submitted?
Written consent for the issuance and/or renewal of a child’s passport is necessary when a person has minor children, regardless of the citizenship or residence of the parents or whether that they are married or not.
It must also be submitted in writing by the other parent.

What if the parent required to submit written consent is not an EU citizen?
In that case the parent’s signature has to be authenticated.

What if the other parent is unable or refuses to submit written consent?
In that case it is possible to appeal to the consular office in writing. Once the case has been reviewed in the interests of the minor, the Consul, as tutelary judge, or the competent authority in the minor’s place of residence can authorise issuance of the passport also in the absence of the other parent’s written consent.

What kind of passport do I need to enter the USA?
The following passports are valid for entry into the United States of America without a visa, therefore taking advantage of the Visa Waiver Program:

  • electronic passport
  • optical passport issued or renewed before 26 October 2005
  • passport with digital photo issued between 26 October 2005 and 26 October 2006 

To take advantage of the "Visa Waiver Program" it is necessary to:

  • travel exclusively for business and/or tourism;
  • stay in the USA no more than 90 days;
  • have a return ticket.

In the absence of one of these requirements it is necessary to obtain a visa. Remember that your passport must be valid, and its expiration date must fall after the date that you plan to return to Italy.
Failure to leave the USA within the 90-day period could compromise your ability to take advantage of this program in the future.
Minors are allowed to take advantage of the Visa Waiver Program only if they are in possession of their own individual passport.
It is necessary to obtain a visa for any length of stay in the USA for minors listed only on a parent’s passport.

last update: 28/09/2012

2014 Copyright Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation - legal notes - privacy - editorial committeeW3C XHTML 1.0 - W3C Css