- Born in Bologna on 3 January 1952. Married, one daughter.
- Degree in Psychology and professional journalist since 1979.
- Appointed National Secretary of the Youth Front in 1977 and elected deputy for the first time in 26 June 1983.
- Was National Secretary of the Italian Socialist Movement (MSI-DN) from December 1987 to January 1990, a position he was to fill again starting in July of 1991.
- At the Fiuggi Congress (25-29 January 1995) he was elected Chairman of the National Alliance Party (AN).
- In the political elections of 1996 he was elected deputy in the Rome 24 constituency, and elected to the European Parliament in all five national jurisdictions in 1994.
- In 2001 he was elected to the Lower House with the majority system in the 15th jurisdiction (Lazio 1).
- He became Deputy Premier in June of 2001 and was appointed representative of the Italian government to the European Convention in February 2002.
- He was Minister for Foreign Affairs from 18 November 2004 to 17 May 2006.