Deputy Director General/Principal Director for Migration Issues and Visas
Marco Del Panta
Deputy Director General/Principal Director for Services to Italians Abroad
Telephone 06 3691 2814
Fax 06 3691 3816
Office I – Enhancement policies for Italian citizens abroad
- Promotion, coordination and policy guidelines for Italians abroad;
- legislative proposals;
- relations with the General Council of Italians Abroad (CGIE), contributions to the Committees of Italians Resident Abroad (COMITES) and assistance bodies;– assistance for indigent Italian nationals abroad;
- Italian associations abroad;
- Members of Parliament of Italian descent throughout the world.
Office II – Language and culture promotional activities for Italian citizens abroad
- Educational and academic initiatives for Italians abroad, for the dissemination of Italian language and culture;
- informational, cultural and recreational activities;
- monitoring of the broadcasting of RAI ITALIA programmes abroad;
- vocational training and related activities in non-European countries.
Office III – Consular services concerning citizenship, civil status, travel documents and navigation
- Citizenship and stateless status, civil status;
- ordinary and temporary passports, identity cards, Emergency Travel Document (ETD), driving licenses;
- social security agreements;– pension payments and war pensions;
- relations with national social security bodies;
- consular services in navigation matters.
Office IV – Protection and assistance of Italians abroad, measures to address the international abduction of minors, international judicial cooperation
- Coordination of consular activities regarding the protection and assistance of Italians abroad and of EU citizens not represented in third countries;
- assistance to detainees, repatriations;
- measures to address the international abduction of minors;
- recovery of loans with the promise of restitution;
- international judicial cooperation (extradition, prisoner transfers, letters rogatory, notifications, transmission of extra-judicial documents);
- administrative notifications, coordination of notary services, legalisation and non-contentious proceedings.
Office V – Consular Services, Register Office and voting for Italians abroad (absentee voting)
- Maintenance of the central register of Italian nationals abroad (AIRE);
- coordination of procedures regarding voting abroad for general and European elections and referendums, in liaison with the other ministries concerned;
- procedures regarding elections in organisations representing Italians abroad.
Office VI – Entry Visas for Italy and the Schengen area.
- Central Italian authority for implementation of the Schengen agreements;
- application of Italian and European Union provisions on issuing entry visas for Italy and the Schengen area;
- legislative proposals on these matters in association with the other ministries concerned;
- assistance for the diplomatic-consular network in matters concerning visas;disputes pertinent to visa denials.
Office VII – Bilateral and multilateral cooperation on migration, refugees and international adoptions
- Legal questions concerning foreign nationals in Italy;
- issues related to the implementation of international protection measures in Italy;– protection of foreign minors in Italy;
- bilateral migration agreements in liaison with the other ministries concerned;
- analysis of foreign communities in Italy and migration flows in liaison with the other ministries concerned;
- participation in interministerial planning of incoming flows of foreign nationals;
- multilateral social and migration cooperation (UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR), International Labour Organisation (ILO), International Organisation for Migration (IOM) and Council of Europe) and management of ILO-IOM financing.