If you find yourself in a difficult situation while abroad, the relevant consular office may, at your request, intervene on your behalf.
Possible interventions include:
- assistenza ai detenuti (assistance to prisoners)
- assistenza economica (economic assistance)
- assistenza indiretta attraverso Enti ed Associazioni Assistenziali (assistance through welfare agencies and associations)
- assistenza sanitaria (healthcare)
- assistenza legale (legal assistance)
- assistenza in caso di furto o smarrimento di documenti (assistance in case of theft or loss of documents)
- assistenza nella ricerca di connazionali (assistance in the search for compatriots)
- rimpatrio consolare (consular repatriation)
- rimpatrio di salme (repatriation of mortal remains)
- rimpatrio sanitario (repatriation for medical reasons)
Under current regulations, the consular office may also provide assistance to European Union’s citizens if the Member State of citizenship has no Embassy, Consulate or Honorary Consul in that country.