Once the relevant notice has been published on this web site, the heads of Italian research structures (universities, centres, departments, institutes, consortia etc) can send in notification of joint research projects with initiatives of major importance and ask for them to be included in Scientific and Technological Programmes under negotiation.
The projects reported must:
- have a special scientific value and depth;
- involve a substantial number of researchers from the two Executive Programme partner countries;
- generate significant knock-on effects in terms of research and economic value, by fostering potential industrial applications and training activities.
The preliminary report must contain:
1. a description of the project and its objectives
2. details of the head of the structure
3. a brief description of the structure
4. the partner structure in the other country involved in the Executive Programme
5. a list of the Italian and foreign participants
6. an estimate of the costs and an indication of the budget available for the Project from the applicant structure.
If a preliminary notification of projects of major importance has been submitted, it is not possible to submit a joint research project for the mobility of Italian and foreign researchers (see submitting joint research projects for the mobility of Italian and foreign researchers) as part of the same Executive Programme.
Inclusion of projects of major importance in the Scientific and Technological Collaboration Executive Programme is definitively agreed when the Executive Programme is signed. The list of projects approved by the two countries is an integral part of the Executive Programme.
Inclusion of projects for which preliminary notification has been submitted in the Executive Programme does not automatically mean that they will receive a grant. Once the Executive Programme has been signed, the project leader can apply for a grant to the Directorate General for Cultural Promotion and Cooperation at this Ministry, under Law 401/1990. The complete project must be submitted in accordance with the notice published by Office 5 of the Directorate each year on this web site and must comply with the conditions shown on the relevant page (see applying for grant under Law 401/1990).
Once submitted, the complete projects are evaluated by a commission that also includes representatives of the Ministry for Education, Universities and Research.