On Thursday, 6 July, the Farnesina, upon the initiative of the Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Angelino Alfano, will host the ministerial conference "A shared responsibility for a common goal: solidarity and security”.
The conference will be attended by the ministers of the Countries of Transit and of Origin of migration flows (Libya, Niger, Tunisia, Egypt, Chad, Ethiopia, Sudan), and of several EU Countries (Germany, Austria, Spain, France, the Netherlands, Malta, Estonia), the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Federica Mogherini, the Assistant High Commissioner of the UNHCR, Volker Turk, the Director General of the IOM, William Lacy Swing, and the UN Secretary-General’s Special Representative for International Migration, Louise Arbour.
The event will be divided into three parts: a welcome cocktail at Villa Madama from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. on the preceding evening of 5 July; a Plenary session in the International Conference Hall from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on 6 July, which will close with the adoption of a Joint Declaration; the Plenary will be followed by a Working Lunch from 1 to 2:30 p.m. offered by Minister Alfano to the Heads of Delegation.
The Plenary Session will be subdivided as follows: the Opening Session (10-10:15 a.m.) will start with remarks by Minister Alfano, who will chair the Plenary Session assisted by Deputy Minister Giro.
After the opening remarks, the Plenary Session will continue from 10:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. with contributions by the representatives of International Organisations and the Ministers of the Countries invited.
The Plenary Session will close with the adoption of a Joint Declaration, presenting a point of balance between the principles of “solidarity” and “security” in the proposed intervention action. The main objective of the intervention is to provide support to local communities and, more generally, to the Governments of the Countries of Transit, while the involvement of International Organisations is aimed at providing assistance, through their organisations, to the African Countries of Transit.
The Conference is not open to the press.
Languages available: simultaneous translation from and into English, French, German and Arabic.
At the end of the meeting, a Family Picture will be taken in the Mosaic Hall.
ORGANISATION DETAILS FOR THE PRESS
The following moments will be open to the press:
• 10:00 a.m. – tour-de-table of the opening of the session (photographers and cameramen only)
• 12:20 p.m. – Family photo (photographers and cameramen only)
• 12:30 p.m. – conclusive press point by the Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Angelino Alfano
Journalists, photographers and TV crews interested in following the above-listed press moments are requested to apply for accreditation in one of the following two ways:
- by filling the interactive form and clicking on the event concerned at the link http://mae.accreditationsystem.info/ITA/Indice.asp, attaching thereto, unless already provided, the documentation requested in digital format (letter from the media organisation and, for representatives of foreign media, also a Note Verbale released by the Rome Embassy of the media organisation’s Country).
- by sending an email to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation’s Institutional Press and Communication Service at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org (Tel. + 39 06/3691.3432 or 8573 or 8210), with the journalist’s name, surname, name of his/her media organisation and date and place of birth.
Journalists, photographers and TV crews who are NOT registered in the relevant section of the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation will also have to attach a letter of his/her media organisation (or press card) and, for members of the foreign press, a Note Verbale released by the Rome Embassy of the media organisation’s Country.
Accredited journalists, photographers and TV crews may collect their accreditation badges in person at the rear entrance of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation on Via della Macchia della Farnesina, at the following schedules:
• from 9:15 to 9:45 a.m. for the tour-de-table (photographers and cameramen only)
• from 11:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. for the family photo and the press point by Minister Alfano.