The data supplied by various sources to the Crisis Unit data bank are analysed for the purposes of drafting emergency plans (on the basis of a formula that takes the various features of the potential threat into account) according to the level of risk of the country concerned and the presence of Italian nationals in the area.
The Crisis Unit drafts emergency plans for every country in the world and contains the following information on a given country:
- risk evaluation;
- number and location of Italians present;
- available communication technologies and infrastructures on the ground;
- means for communicating with all useful contact persons in case of crisis;
- country maps in GPS displaying itineraries and evacuation routes;
- blueprints of diplomatic–consular headquarters and interactive video–photographic documentation;
- summary of possible forms of collaboration with the embassies of other EU countries in case of emergency;
- intervention methods in relation to the type of crisis that could develop;
- identification of the instruments and ministries concerned with implementation of interventions.
The Crisis Unit’s technical missions play an active role in the gathering of data for intervention planning and monitoring of emergency plans. A major role is played by the technical missions dispatched by the Crisis Unit which include the participation of personnel from other ministries involved in the drafting of emergency plans (primarily the armed forces), outlining cooperation agreements with the local authorities and holding training courses for emergency personnel.