This site uses technical, analytics and third-party cookies.
By continuing to browse, you accept the use of cookies.

Preferences cookies

European Union: original treaties on display at the Farnesina

The Farnesina is celebrating the Community’s history with an exhibition of the original treaties marking its birth and the road travelled since then. Cases have been set up in the Mosaic Hall to display the documents, from the first Treaty establishing the European Economic Community (EEC) in 1957 to the Maastricht and Lisbon Treaties that followed it.


The exhibition was opened by Under-Secretary Della Vedova during the informal meeting of the heads of the EU countries’ directorates general.


Italian Presidency aims to profoundly revitalise the EU


“The event has a twofold importance. First, it marks the beginning of a Presidency that we want to use to profoundly revitalise the EU: what it has signified and, above all, what it must signify in the future in an integration process that must be deepened, not interrupted”, explained Della Vedova at the end of the opening ceremony. “And second, the exhibition is taking place here in Rome, in Italy, where the negotiations for the first treaty of the European Community began in Messina [the Messina Conference] and were concluded in Rome”.


Community treaties: conservation


The original treaties are kept at the Farnesina by the Service for Legal Affairs, Diplomatic Disputes and International Agreements. They are stored in special armoured cabinets with combination locks, and kept in special cases for conservation and preservation purposes. Over the years, other European countries have asked to borrow the texts for special events.


For the exhibition in the Hall of Mosaics, the treaties have been placed in custom-built display cases with shatter-proof glass and security locks. The glass has an anti-reflective finish and has been carefully designed to ensured that the contents are not damaged or yellowed by the light outside the cases. In addition, the display cases have been placed around the room in positionsout of the sun’s direct rays.