This site uses technical and analytics cookies.
By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies.

Foreign Press Handbook



Entry into Italy

Foreign journalists applying for a visa to enter Italy must apply for accreditation with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation through the Press Accreditation Portal [] .

Upon the conclusion of the online accreditation procedure, the Institutional Press and Communication Service can issue and send the clearance document for the visa to the Italian Diplomatic Representation to which the journalist submitted application.

The laws in force allow non-EU correspondents of foreign press organisations to be granted the following types of visa:

Employment Visa: the representatives of foreign press organisations fall within the special categories of subordinate workers for whom a subordinate work permit is not required in order to carry out their activity (Consolidation Act (T.U.) No. 286/98 and relevant implementation regulation)

Mission Visa: is granted to foreign journalists who work for state press organisations or to journalists that intend to come to Italy to participate in short-term missions.

Foreign journalists intending to work in Italy can apply to the Italian Consulate for a specific visa family members travelling with them, s long as their family members are dependent and under 18 years of age. Children over 18 are granted this family visa only if unable to work.
If journalists are already in Italy and possess a regular residence permit, they can apply for a family reunification visa. This type of visa is granted to:

•  spouse;
•  children under 18;
•  dependent children over 18, providing they are unable to take care of their requiste needs due to health conditions causing total invalidity;
•  dependent parents, if they have no other children in the country of origin or of provenance, or parents over 65, if the other children are unable to provide for them due to documented serious health conditions.


Accreditation at the foreign Ministry

The Accreditation Office for foreign journalists is located at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation’s Institutional Press and Communication Service, Piazzale della Farnesina 1 – 00194 Rome.

The Accreditation Office is open to the public from Monday to Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. for those who have booked an appointment.

Telephone +39 06.36913432 – 06.36918573
Fax: +39 06.36912122


Residency permit for Italy

  1. EU citizens: pursuant to Legislative Decree No. 30 of 6 February 2007 (“Implementation of Directive 2004/38/EC with regard to the right of citizens of the Union and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States”), EU citizens that intend to settle in Italy, or in another Member State, are no longer obliged to apply for a residence permit. However, after three months from entry, they must register at the registry office of the municipality of residence (no formality is required for stays lasting less than three months). Further information is available at
  2. Non-EU citizens within eight days of arriving in Italy, non-EU journalists must apply for a residence permit to the relevant territorial Questura.

Journalists can contact the Accreditation Office of the Institutional Press and Communication Service (email: if they need assistance in filling in the form provided in the so-called yellow band kit (kit a banda gialla) in order to apply for the issue/renewal of a residence permit. The kit can be collected by the applicant at specific post offices. The completed form and the documentation requested must be sent to the relevant Questura from the same post offices. (hyperlink:

While waiting for the issue of the electronic residence permit, the postal receipt certifying the posting of the application is valid documentation allowing legal residence in Italy. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation’s Accreditation Office, once a copy of the postal receipt has been obtained, can arrange an appointment with the Immigration Office at the relevant Questura.

Residence permits can be renewed after expiry.


Importing personal belongings

The Accreditation Office can arrange the temporary import of personal belongings into Italy, with customs exemption. To use this service, journalists must submit  to the Accreditation Office:

  • a request indicating the relevant territorial Customs, the name of the company handling customs clearance in Italy and the date of arrival of the personal belongings
  • a list of the personal belongings.

Requests must be submitted within six months of the date of arrival in Italy.


Getting an Italian driver’s license.

In principle, in order to drive in Italy you must obtain an Italian driving license.
Citizens of those countries with reciprocal agreements (including EU countries) can have their driving licenses converted, whereas citizens of other countries will need to apply for a new license.

A list of countries whose licences can be converted is available on the website – sezione patenti – “Conversione/riconoscimento di patente di guida estera”.

Application for conversion must be made to the Provincial Motor Vehicles Bureau or to an Agency before your foreign license expires and within one year after entry into Italy. Applications must include the following:

  • a completed Model TT2112 (obtainable at Motor Vehicles Bureau branches), filled out and signed according to the instructions included;
  • proof of payment of €20.66 to postal account (conto corrente) n. 4028 and €5.16 to postal account (conto corrente) n. 9001;
  • a medical certificate with photograph signed by a local ASL doctor within the last 6 months, on revenue-stamped paper (bollata), plus one photocopy;
  • two recent photos on a white background;
  • your foreign driving license with photocopy (front and back);
  • If you are requesting the conversion of a non-EU driving license, you must supply a certified stamped translation. The translation must be certified by the Italian Embassy or Consulate in your country of origin, or by your Embassy in Italy; it must also be validated by the Prefect (Prefettura).

Valid EU driving licenses needn’t be converted, but can simply be recognized by presenting the following to the Motor Vehicles Bureau:

  • form TT746 (distributed free at the Motorisation Department) filled out and signed according to the instructions included;
  • a signed declaration stating that you reside in Italy;
  • proof of payment of €10.33 to postal account (conto corrente) n. 4028 and €5.16 to postal account (conto corrente) n. 9001.

For further information please contact one of the following Provincial Motor Vehicles Bureau:

  • Via Salaria Km 10,400, 00199 Roma (1st Floor, room n. 110) – Tel. +39 06.81691 (Monday to Friday 8:45 AM to 12:30 and Tuesdays and Thursdays 3:00 to 4:30 PM). This office accepts and processes applications;
  • Via del Fosso di Acqua Acetosa Ostiense 9, 00143 Roma (GRA exit 25), tel. +39 06.502881 (Monday to Friday 8:45 AM to 12:30 and Tuesdays and Thursdays 3:00 to 4:30 PM). This office only accepts applications.

Press pass

Journalists can obtain a Press Pass for public events, if in possession of the proper requirements.
Press Passes for public events can be obtained from the Presidenza del Consiglio dei Ministri – Dipartimento per l’Informazione e l’Editoria (Office of the Prime Minister – Department of Information and Publishing) by those members of the foreign press who are accredited at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, with the exception of those who work solely in the sectors of entertainment, tourism, sport, fashion and art.
The Press Pass is valid for events, manifestations and ceremonies of public interest and held in public places. The Accreditation Office handles requests for Press Passes, sending them to the Presidenza del Consiglio dei Ministri. An Interministerial Committee decides on the issuance of Press Passes, based on the approval of the Ministry of the Interior.
The Press Pass is valid for three years. Requests for renewal are made through the Press Office 4 to 6 months before expiry date. Committee decision is not necessary for renewals.

TV or film shoots in Italy

For shoots requiring media vehicles or photographers to be positioned on State property with historical, artistic and architectural interest, it is necessary to acquire specific authorisation which varies depending on the type of shoot. Authorisations are released by the relevant territorial Municipality or by the Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities ( Authorisation requests must be submitted by the applicant, by their representative in Italy or by the Embassy in Rome of the country where the applicant’s press organisation has its offices.

Media outlets are recommended to have an insurance policy covering explicitly any damage caused to third parties (persons and belongings) when occupying public areas to carry out photo, film or TV shoots.


The Municipality of Rome has set up a Cinema Office ( as a Single Desk for the issue of permits to carry out photo, film and TV shoots. The office acts as an intermediary with the relevant authorities of the various sectors.

Details on procedures, forms and tariffs are available on the Cinema Office’s website.


Various Italian Municipalities have set up offices to assist foreign television crews. It is recommended they consult the websites of the Municipalities involved or contact the Municipalities’ Press Offices or Mayors’ Cabinets.


For assistance and consultancy concerning interviews to be held at RAI’s studios, please contact the following RAI offices:

RAI – International Relations Directorate – Technical Assistance Office Tel.: +39 06.33170053

Foreign Press Association in Italy

The Foreign Press Association in Italy provides a complete service with workrooms for its members, professionals and freelance journalists. Telephone lines, Internet connection and access to news from the most important press agencies are provided. Further information is available at

The association has an office in Milan (Tel. +39 02/29000966 email: