(Information request form)
(Reference Office: D.G.IT. – DESK IV)
In the case of arrest in a foreign country, the Italian citizen has the right to request consular assistance. At the request of the person concerned, the diplomatic-consular Representation may:
– pay a visit to the detainee;
– provide names of lawyers of reference on the spot;
– take care of contacts with family members, subject to the express consent of the detainee;
– ensure medical assistance and comfort supplies to the detainee, where necessary and permitted by local regulations;
– facilitate the transfer to Italy, if the compatriot is detained in countries adhering to the Convenzione di Strasburgo sul trasferimento dei detenuti del 1983 (Strasbourg Convention on the Transfer of Prisoners of 1983) or with which bilateral agreements are in force;
– intervene, in particular cases, to support applications for pardon submitted by the person concerned or his legal counsel.
The Consulate cannot intervene in legal proceedings on behalf of the compatriot and/or bear legal fees.
For more information on the assistance provided by Embassies and Consulates to compatriots detained abroad and their family members, you can consult the Guida Pratica all’Assistenza Consolare (Practical Guide to Consular Assistance).