The following people lose citizenship provided that they formally renounce it:
- adult adoptees, following revocation of the adoption due to a fact attributable to the adopter, provided that they hold or reacquire another citizenship (art. 3, paragraph 4, of Law No. 91/92);
- Italian citizens, if they live or establish residence abroad and if they hold, acquire or reacquire another citizenship (art. 11 of Law No. 91/92);
- adults who obtained Italian citizenship as minors, following the acquisition or reacquisition of citizenship by one of their parents, provided that they hold another citizenship (Art. 14 Law No. 91/92).
In case of residence abroad, the declaration for renouncing citizenship shall be filed with the competent consular Office. It shall be accompanied by the following documentation:
– birth certificate issued by the Municipality in which the certificate is registered;
– certificate of Italian citizenship;
– documents proving possession of foreign citizenship;
– documents proving residence abroad, where required.
Minors do NOT lose Italian citizenship if one or both parents lose it or reacquire foreign citizenship.