This site uses technical and analytics cookies.
By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies.

Moving Abroad

Trasferirsi all'estero
AIRE, healthcare assistance, study bursary, Italian schools, Italian businesses, educational
credentials, driver’s licence.

Each country has its own specific laws on the entry and residence of foreigners. You should consult the Consulate of your country of destination for all the necessary information.List of foreign embassies and consulates in Italy Link If you move to an EU country, you will find useful information on the official EU website

If you are living abroad and are enrolled in AIRE (Anagrafe degli Italiani Residenti all’Estero) you must communicate all changes in your status (address, marital status, final return to Italy, etc.) to the authorised local Italian Consulate. If you move abroad permanently, you must ask the competent Consulate to enrol you with AIRE (Register of Italian Residents Abroad). To identify the competent Consulate click on the link: You will find the form on the Embassy / Consulate website. In many Consulates you can enrol through the new Fast It portal (Farnesina telematic services for Italians abroad). If you move and change your address in the same consular district, you shall inform the same consular office of this change. If you move from one consular district to another, you shall contact the new consular office and inform it of the change by using the “AIRE enrolment” form. If you move back to Italy, you shall only inform the Italian Municipality in which you establish your residence. It is the Municipality (and not the Consulate) that shall enrol you with AIRE. The Municipality keeps the AIRE register. You shall contact the Municipality to obtain a certificate of enrolment with AIRE. The consular office shall transmit your AIRE enrolment application to the Municipality and, at the same time, store your data in a consular database. It is mandatory to inform the Italian State (if you live abroad, through the Consulate) of any change in civil status and of any family change (births and deaths, marriages and divorces). List of Italian embassies and consulates For further information see AIRE

No. The law obliges anyone living abroad for a period of more than 12 months to enrol with AIRE. For further information see AIRE

Not necessarily, it depends on the country you are living in and your reasons for going there to live. An Italian citizen who moves to a country of the European Union has the right to be treated in the same way as any citizens of that State. For additional information, we suggest you to visit this page of the EU official website. For further information see Assistenza sanitaria, and the website of the Ministry of Health

Only if you live in that country for most of the year. In the Civil Code (Article 43), residence is defined as the place in which a person has his / her habitual abode, that is the place in which he / she lives habitually and permanently. The law requires the enrolment with AIRE for those who live abroad for periods of over 12 months. For further information see AIRE

The tax legislation and regulations on residence matters are governed locally: you shall therefore contact the Tax Office of your Italian Municipality of origin or of AIRE enrolment. The Inland Revenue Office has made available to taxpayers a tax guidebook for residents abroad.

AIRE enrolment is an obligation provided for by law (Law No. 470 of 1988).AIRE enrolment offers access to a series of services supplied by the Italian diplomatic mission and the right to vote by absentee ballot.For further information see AIRE

For a list of the bursaries offered to Italian students by foreign countries and institutions for each academic year see Opportunità di studio. To apply for a bursary see Borse di studio on line

For a list of all Italian and European schools abroad see istituzioni scolastiche all’estero.

You can find information on Italian businesses in a certain country on infoMercatiEsteri(Rapporti con l’Italia – section within each country page). You can also consult directly the business office of the Italian Embassy to that country or the ICE operations office there, as well as the Italian Chamber of Commerce, if any. List of Italian embassies and consulates

Foreign educational credentials are not automatically recognised in Italy. For more information see CIMEA (Centro Informazioni sulla Mobilità e le Equivalenze Accademiche).

The effective date of registration with AIRE is regulated by Article 6, paragraph 9-bis, of Law No. 470 of October27, 1988, whereby the declaration made to the consular office – pursuant to Article 6, paragraphs 1 and 3, of the Law – takes effect from the date on which the declaration was submitted to the consular office, unless the declaration of expatriation had already been made to the Municipality of last residence, in accordance with the registry legislation in force.If the compatriot makes the declaration of expatriation to the Italian Municipality before leaving the country and submits the application for registration with AIRE to the consular office within 90 days of expatriation, the resulting registration with AIRE shall start from the date of the declaration made to the Municipality. If the application for registration with AIRE is submitted to the consular office after 90 days from the date of expatriation, the effective date – in accordance with Article 6, paragraph 9-bis, of Law No. 470/88 – shall be the date of submission of the application to the consular office.

Different rules on driving apply according to the country of destination and the length of stay.For further information see Automobiles and licenses.

For driving abroad, different rules apply in the different countries of destination and depending on the length of stay. For short stays we suggest you to read the file dedicated to the country of your interest on the website Viaggiare sicuri under the heading “viabilità”. If you plan to move, we invite you to search for information on the website of the diplomatic or consular mission (List of diplomatic and consular offices in the world).Find general information on the ACI webpage – Per viaggiare all’estero: Documenti necessary